Apply for this position online
Professional Academic Tutor
Application Deadline:Open Until Filled
Position Title: Professional Academic Tutor
Reports To: Director of the Tutorial and Enrichment Center
Terms of Employment: 10 months (potential to be extended to 12 months pending
summer enrollment outcomes)
FLSA Classification: Hourly, Title III, Grant-funded Position
NOTE: This position is part of a Title III Grant-funded activity.
Professional Academic Tutor (100%, 10-month position, Title III Grant-funded with potential to be extended to 12 months pending summer enrollment outcomes)
- Bachelor's Degree in STEM or Humanities disciplinary fields with particular attention to biology, chemistry, mathematics (focus on calculus), accounting, Spanish, or French
- Recent graduates with earned degree in field or seasoned professionals and academicians are eligible with varying years of experience
- Familiarity with tutoring and/or supplemental instruction
- Experience working with a diverse population with varying language skills and experiences
- Ability to tutor others to enable conceptual understanding of lessons
- Possess the ability to communicate clearly and effectively verbally, in writing, and within a classroom instructional environment in front of groups particularly for group study labs
Under the direction of the Director of the Tutorial and Enrichment Center, the professional tutor will provide academic support services for all Paine College students which include traditional, non-traditional, transfer, first generation, academically at-risk, underrepresented students in specific majors, students with disabilities, or a combination of these groups.
Duties and essential responsibilities are the following:
- Provide subject-specific tutoring support for students through drop-in and group study assistance
- Use active learning and other strategies to determine the content and pace of tutoring
- Provide direct assistance in the use of equipment, learning objects, and materials needed for student success
- Help students to build study groups, foster critical thinking, and strengthen positive study habits
- Provide regularly scheduled study sessions that target courses with high D, W, F rates
- Integrate content and learning skills in challenging courses, particularly introductory mathematics, biology, and chemistry
- Assist the Director with Tutorial and Enrichment Center seminars, and freshmen and sophomore year experience programs
General hours expected to be worked are between:
- 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays
- 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Fridays
These hours are subject to change at any time with the needs of the institution.
Hourly Salary: $18/hour
Evaluation: Annual performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with the college's evaluation instrument for staff. Periodic performance measures will be used to ascertain whether goals are being achieved.
Physical Requirements (The sum of all requirements should be equal to 100%).
Lifting: 5% Standing: 20% Sitting: 60% Walking: 10% Driving: 5%